So, I can't be the only one with a four year old who lies; am I the only one who finds it pretty funny?
Hunter has been lying. He will say he already went potty when he didn't or that he didn't hit his sister when he did...or like tonight, he will say he ate his food when he really hid it somewhere.
Now, here's why I find it funny. This typically bright boy cannot for the life of him figure out how I always know when he's lying. He is in awe when he gets caught. This poor, darling preschooler thinks that he is so smart...that is, until his mother outsmarts him- AGAIN.
If you think I'm a genius or a psychic, then you, too, are probably a four year old. It doesn't take a psychic to know that a little boy didn't use the toilet when that toilet seat is not left up. It doesn't take a psychic to know that her little boy hit his three year old sister when she is crying and saying he hurt her and she hasn't learned to lie (and even sometimes will say, "Hunter didn't hurt me, I hurt myself!" when that is the case). It doesn't take a psychic to know that this little boy also is lying when he says he ate his food but his full serving of vegetables suddenly vanishes from his plate seconds later and his sister's plate is now jam packed with double the original amount.
Tonight it was a tuna fish sandwich. He wanted a piece of licorice and I told him that he could have a piece if he ate his whole sandwich first. Five minutes later, he still had a whole sandwich without a bite from it and asked again for a piece of licorice. I reminded him that he had to eat dinner first and he pouted but said, "fine!" I helped the baby down from his chair and then saw that Hunter had the licorice in his hand. I immediately said, "Um, Hunter? I said you had to eat your sandwich first." I didn't even get a chance to ask him what had happened to that sandwich nor did I get the chance to accuse him of feeding it to the dog (which I suspected from past experience). The second I confronted him I was met with a look of shock and frustration on his face as he threw his hands in the air, shook his head, and said, "MOM! How come you know all the things? How come you know EVERYTHING?!" I had to fight back a smirk and very seriously said, "See, Hunter? Don't you EVER try to lie to me. God knows everything and tells me when you are doing something wrong." He sighed, returned the licorice to the counter and promptly walked over to the couch where I suddenly noticed our dog, Bear, trying to dig and lick....You guessed it, that little trickster stuck that tuna fish sandwich with mayo and onion powder under the couch in the living room. UGH. Thank you, LORD, for giving me the wisdom to see through this con so that we wouldn't be smelling the stench of onions and rotten fish and that our dog wouldn't lose his mind trying to get at it.
Dear Hunter,
Remember this when you are 17 and think you can drink or sneak out of the house or have a secret girlfriend. Momma knows everything. Everything! Why? Because I pray for wisdom every day, I have eyes in the back of my head, and I never sleep as soundly as I did prior to you coming into my life.
Love,
Mom (you know, the psychic genius)
You are an artist! I love it!
ReplyDeleteAllison your blogs are so hilarious and brilliantly written. Your kids crack me up and I definitely got my laugh in for the day :) -Lauren
ReplyDelete